About Me

Musings of a hopeful wanderer.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Spelling Bee Chic

Confession: I am, and pretty much always have been, a geek.  For example, I went to band camp.  Twice (and loved it).  I hated watching movies in school because, hello, I could watch a movie on my own time thank you very much.  I did an optional senior thesis and when people ask me why, I respond "it was fun."

This past Thursday the Austin Chronicle held an adult spelling bee, the proceeds of which benefited the Austin Public Library.  As someone who was once an excellent speller (damn you, spell check!), I couldn't sign up fast enough.  Sadly, the I was eliminated in the first round, which was a written test which required identifying misspelled words--words, that, of course, I often misspell.  Thankfully I didn't make it to the third round, which was a more traditional on-the-stage spelling bee.  With words like bourgeoisie, embouchure, and decuple, I would certainly have embarrassed myself.

Anyway, I wanted to channel my inner bookworm with ruffles and a sweater vest.  And although I didn't take home the trophy, I looked cute, drank many margaritas, and learned new words.  What kind of nerd doesn't like that?

Vest: boutique in Ann Arbor, MI
Blouse: Target
Cut-offs: Gap, cut off by me
Shoes: TOMS
Face: pure competition

1 comment:

  1. Yet another reason why I love reading your blog... I'm a total geek myself. I have no problem admitting one of my proudest moments was when I won my 3rd grade spelling bee! :)

    I'd LOVE to participate in one as an adult... especially if there were margaritas involved! :)

    Better Than a Milk Mustache

    ReplyDelete