About Me

Musings of a hopeful wanderer.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

And then I spit them right out

Does any other child of the 90s remember the suggestive toy "Mr. Bucket?"  It was basically a motorized bucket on wheels that came with balls of different colors and each person would be assigned to a color, put the balls in Mr. Bucket's "mouth" and then Mr. Bucket would spit them out again.  I don't know the purpose of this game.  We were too old to actually play the game, but the commercials for it came on Nickelodeon all the time.  I still remember the lyrics, too: "Mr. Bucket, you put the balls in my mouth.  I'm Mr. Bucket, and then I spit them right out."  I really think that whoever writes lyrics to songs that advertise children's toys really get off on making them sexually suggestive.

This digression is all to say that today's challenge is to Create a Bucket List.  This is something that I've thought about recently, when trying to figure out where I want my life to go and what's important to me.  I'm going to try to make goals that are not career-driven because I think people of this culture invest too much of their identity in how they spend their 9-5s.  So, before I'm 30,

  • I want to write a book.  Probably when I get my PhD, but who knows.
  • I want to finish the short story I've been working on forever.
  • I want to step foot on every continent, including Antarctica.
  • I want to hold a conversation in Spanish with a native Spanish speaker.
  • I want all of my household's produce and eggs to come from my own backyard.
  • I want to see a sunset from each of the 7 Wonders.
  • I want to do one thing a year that terrifies me.
What do you want to do before your next big milestone?

No comments:

Post a Comment