About Me

Musings of a hopeful wanderer.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Blue Valentine

I'm feeling much better and am inspired to do a kind of post I've been meaning to: a movie review.  If you don't know, I'm a huge movie buff.  I average at least a movie a day and my biggest vice (besides coffee and Diet Dr. Pepper) is going to see a movie.  I love it.  LOVE IT.

This weekend, Ed and I saw Blue Valentine.  It's the story of a dissolution of a marriage.  But really, its the story of any relationship's breaking point (and if we have ever had similar relationships, a breaking point doesn't necessarily mean the end of a relationship, but the point at which something has to change.)  Originally rated NC-17 for a fairly graphic oral sex scene, the entire movie is intimate.  The shots are so close you feel like you're watching something you shouldn't be privy to; more than once I felt like I wanted to give Cindy (Michelle Williams) and Dean (Ryan Gosling) their privacy. 

It's dark, it's serious, it's heart-warming, it's at times painful to watch and yes, it's a bit depressing.  But it's beautifully written, brilliantly directed, and speaks to anyone who's ever stood at the edge of a relationship wondering what's next.

If you go for any reason at all, go for the soundtrack.  This gem was actually written by Gosling (as well as performed by him in the movie):


Or this, Cindy and Dean's "song:"


The rest of the soundtrack is Grizzly Bear.  What's not to love?!

And her clothes.  I was really inspired by Michelle's Williams' character's clothes.  She mixed feminine floral dresses with big combat boots.  This was my interpretation:

That's me on the right, if you couldn't tell.  I'm often told she's my celebrity doppleganger.


So, Blue Valentine.  Go see it!

Dress: Old Navy
Cardigan: Express
Tights: TJ Maxx
Boots: via DSW
Inspiration: Blue Valentine

1 comment:

  1. I want to see Blue Valentine SO bad! Unfortunately, it's not coming to any theaters near me, so I must wait. I want your blue dress. It's so cute! I love your Michelle interpretation. :)

    Better Than a Milk Mustache

    ReplyDelete